[erlang-questions] shared records in .hrl files

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Fri Jul 4 08:21:10 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Felix Gallo <felixgallo@REDACTED> wrote:

> After pondering it, it seems like you can choose at most two of { live
> upgrades, separation into multiple processes, simple and sensible records }.

Hi,

if you don't mind the extra benefits (easy sharing, compatibility,
compactness) and overhead (yeah, serialization and deserialization
take CPU time) of serialization protocols like protocol buffers or
Cap'n Proto, I would suggest looking at them.

In our systems the "universal language" is protocol buffers (under
piqi). In-application they are converted to Erlang records. Upgrades
have no compatibility problems, because any data out of the
application boundaries is compatibly encoded..

--
Motiejus Jakštys