[erlang-questions] Installing 17.1 on a T2 kills it

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Jul 3 03:25:36 CEST 2014

I have a second-hand SPARC T2 machine running some version
of SunOS 5.11 (I'll explain why no details shortly).  It
didn't come with SunStudio, so I've installed gcc-4.8.0 on it.

The next thing to do, obviously, is install Erlang.
So I downloaded otp_src_17.1, unpacked it, and

bash-3.2$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local
Ignoring the --cache-file argument since it can cause the system to be erroneously configured
Disabling caching
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.11
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.11
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for posix_fadvise... no
checking for closefrom... yes
checking linux/falloc.h usability... no
checking linux/falloc.h presence... no
checking for linux/falloc.h... no
checking whether fallocate() works... no
checking whether posix_fallocate() works...

and at that point the whole system went off the air.
That's why no uname -a details; it takes a full hardware
reset to get the machine back up and then a full fsck to
undo the file system damage.

(1) Has anyone else had this problem?
(2) Is there any easier way to tell Erlang 'forget about
*fallocate() than digging through the configure sources
and hacking?  Like a --without-fallocate switch?

Oh, this is the second time it's happened, on a machine that
has been running nicely for several months.