[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Pieter Hintjens ph@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 09:13:12 CET 2014

Garrett's video deserves an nomination for... something.

I think we stopped naming languages with acronyms around 1968, and
even then switched to mixed case for the survivors. Only aliens still
use letters for language names (C#, F#, etc.)

It's confusing to laymen what the difference is between Erlang and
OTP. One imagines Ruby and Rails, except it's not that.

I think the simplest plausible solution is to (a) stop using OTP as a
confusing and needless synonym for Erlang, (b) create new layers on
top that can have sexier names.

-Pieter