[erlang-questions] Time for OTP to be Renamed?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Thu Feb 13 09:46:34 CET 2014

On 02/13/2014 09:13 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> I think we stopped naming languages with acronyms around 1968, and
> even then switched to mixed case for the survivors. Only aliens still
> use letters for language names (C#, F#, etc.)

What about numbers? Go for example.

> It's confusing to laymen what the difference is between Erlang and
> OTP. One imagines Ruby and Rails, except it's not that.
>
> I think the simplest plausible solution is to (a) stop using OTP as a
> confusing and needless synonym for Erlang, (b) create new layers on
> top that can have sexier names.

You are indeed confused. :)

Erlang and OTP are pretty much what Ruby and Rails are, except OTP is a
different kind of framework. You could run Erlang without OTP, or
replacing it, except you don't win anything from doing that, unlike when
you run Ruby on Rails without Ruby and Rails.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu