[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Sun Dec 28 17:39:57 CET 2014

Right, thanks for the clarification, I shouldn't have said only Erlang
Solutions.

My point about Nix wasn't about Windows support or only the fact that I
don't consider it a fit, but was my understanding from the design doc
and proposals that Nix certainly wasn't a fit. For instance, including
Nix in Erlang/OTP sounds to me like something much less likely to be
included than Elixir...

There is much work already into a foundation to base an Erlang PM to be
included in OTP on, hex.pm, which rebar3 will be moving to as well,
meaning 2 implementations of the API will already be worked on.

--

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014, at 06:02 AM, Dmytro Lytovchenko wrote:
> Its not up to ESL to decide what gets chosen, OTP/E/// and IUG will
> decide the final options and budget according to what is discussed
> here. But ESL may offer a person to work on this budget and this
> project.
>
> From my personal point of view,
> - Nix has a chance because its C++ which is potentially cross platform
>   and compiles everywhere. Also from NIH point of view - huge work was
>   done there and it would be silly to just throw the idea away because
>   parts of it are not compatible - this can be fixed;
> - pure C or C++ implementation from scratch has a chance because its
>   cross platform and compiles everywhere (or it should by design);
> - pure Erlang implementation although doesn't exist yet only in a form
>   of non-working bare skeleton prototype, also has a chance
> - and then Elixir implementation has slim chance because carrying
>   Elixir compiler or compiled BEAM's in OTP source may be
>   non-desirable.
>
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Tristan Sloughter
> <t@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Erlang Solutions certainly won't be going the nix route.

So someone should just go try it already :P. I did and gave up and

tossed it in the garbage.

I say this because I feel the conversation is pointless and has

completely derailed any talk of an actual solution to real problems.

--

Tristan Sloughter