[erlang-questions] Erlang occasionally hangs at startup

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 22:18:43 CET 2014

On 12/17/2014 10:39 PM, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Loic Hoguin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I see occasional hangs when starting the Erlang VM ("erl",
>> regardless of options). It seems to occur only on some networks
>> (seen it happen in a few hotels and seeing it in the appartment I
>> rent here now; though it didn't happen a few weeks ago in the same
>> place). I never see it at home though.
>>
>> This is with 17.3.4, though I have seen it with 17.1 and also with
>> versions before 17.
>
> Is it correct to assume that you're mentioning the locations with
> regards to the local wired/wireless network?
>
> If so, have you tried different ~/.erl_inetrc settings?

OK while reading about this file I remembered a similar issue I had with
Opera in the past, where the fix was to disable IPv6. IPv6 was already
disabled on my system globally, but this apparently doesn't prevent
individual programs from trying to use it, and I just found that my
local DNS server had it enabled. Disabling it there made "erl" not hang
at startup anymore.

Thanks for the help!

--
Loïc Hoguin