[erlang-questions] Erlang occasionally hangs at startup

Lukas Larsson garazdawi@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 21:55:57 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "strace erl" prints a lot of things until:
>
>   write(6, "\0", 1)                       = 1
>   select(0, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL

This part is most likely this:
https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/maint/erts/emulator/sys/unix/sys.c#L3060-L3089
The initial thread is always put in an eternal select, so this is normal
behaviour.

Don't know what could be causing the emulator to hang. If you think/suspect
that it is the emulator that hangs, then attach to the pid with gdb and do
a "threads apply all bt full" and check if any threads sit in something
that is not expected. I doubt that is something in the emulator though.