[erlang-questions] gen_fsm timer getting canceled/never firing

Matthew Evans mattevans123@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 17:26:48 CET 2014

Hi Group,
We have just hit a case when we set a timeout on a gen_fsm Module:StateName function. e.g:

wait_handle_commit_ok({process_commit_ok,TransactionId}, State) ->    %% Stuff    {next_state, wait_handle_commit_ok, State?WAIT_COMMIT_OK_TIME_LONG};
The timeout is 2 seconds (2000).
In this case the timeout never fired. This code is heavily logged and the fsm appeared to not get any other message during this 2 second period. Unless Erlang will send a handle_event / handle_info for fun.
The only thing in the log at the same time is this:
=ERROR REPORT==== 16-Dec-2014::09:39:44 ===** Node node@REDACTED not responding **** Removing (timedout) connection **
Is it possible that timers could get canceled for some unknown reason?
I should add that this code has been running for a few years without seeing this before.
Cheers
Matt