[erlang-questions] Build tools

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Wed Dec 17 15:59:48 CET 2014

On 12/17/2014 03:38 PM, Zachary Kessin wrote:
> 1) Use a makefile, even if it is a very simple makefile that simply has
> an "all" target that calls mix or rebar

This is what erlang.mk does. It does not care that the dep is written in
Erlang, LFE, or even that it is an Erlang related project. It'll work
even if the dep is a set of JS libs that are minified, or a library
written in C... It just runs "make" on the dep.

Do note that it does not need an "all" target but rather that the result
of running "make" on that Makefile only builds the project (this is
expected behavior of a Makefile). The main target can have any name, it
does not have to be named "all".

Using a Makefile like this also solves the issue that rebar currently
has in that projects are tested against a version of rebar (often
included in the repository) and then that version of rebar is ignored
when building because the top-level rebar builds everything. This means
that if the top-level rebar has a regression (or an unfortunate "fix")
your project may not build when used as a dep.

The side effect of doing it this way for rebar however is that rebar
becomes even slower than it already is as you now have to start the
Erlang VM and rebar many times and this takes a lot of time.

Note that I say rebar here, because it's what I used in the past, but it
probably applies to similar tools in the other languages.

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu