[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Tue Dec 16 22:07:14 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM, Loic Hoguin wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 07:37 PM, Tuncer Ayaz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Loic Hoguin wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately in my case I will have to keep maintaining a
> > > separate wheel because I do not want to boot the Erlang VM for
> > > these things.
> >

> > Curious, has the issue to do with slow startup time of the VM? If
> > so, it's something that has regressed after R13, and IIRC, at
> > least part of is due to new features like line numbers, but I'd
> > have to dig out an old thread to be sure.
>

> It's mostly about slow startup time, yes.
>
> It's interesting how erlc runs very fast though, despite running
> Erlang code. If the package manager was built like erlc, instead of

Without having checked the code, I suppose it's due to starting with
less apps (modules) and similar settings. From what I recall, I think
it used to start the VM with args like "-mode minimal" and maybe other
switches, but I don't remember it all.

> like an escript, it would ease my concerns very much and I might be
> able to integrate it with erlang.mk (assuming there are no other
> issues that I can't foresee at the moment).

The increase in startup time after R13 is unfortunate and asking for
someone to profile and check for possible improvements. Maybe there's
also a need for an erlc-like escript startup mode that could try to
delay stuff.

Anyway, Loic, this is off-topic, so we should either use a separate
thread or not pollute the pkg mgr thread.