[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Bruce Yinhe community-manager@REDACTED
Tue Dec 16 12:41:19 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Industrial Erlang User Group (IEUG) has been working together with the
Erlang/OTP team to investigate and create a package management system for
Erlang/OTP.

The lack of a package management system for Erlang has been discussed for a
long time in the community. In essence, a straightforward package
management system is believed to take Erlang programming language a step
forward. Multiple tools will appear in the community. It needs to be
supported by a highly visible community behind it.

In order to increase the adoption and to result in a tool widely used in
the Erlang ecosystem, we are identifying the most important user categories
and use cases, based on what the majority of the community want in a
package manager. Therefore we would like to invite an open discussion.

Now you are welcome to share your thoughts, suggestions or proposals about
an Erlang package manager. It would be great if you could reply with your
motivation, explaining why a feature is necessary to have. There are some
example questions to begin the dicussion with, including, but not limited
to the following.

   - What metadata information should an Erlang package include?
   - What functionality do you need in a package manager for Erlang in
   order to use it in production?
   - What other concerns do you have about an Erlang package management
   system?

Erlang package manager's brief wish list of features:

   - Console interface
   - Web interface
   - Package Index and Repository
   - Fetch, Install and Remove Packages
   - Publish packages
   - Versioning and Dependency Management

We are aware of several previous efforts and existing tools that attempt to
achieve the similar goal. We want to look at existing things, both from
Erlang and Elixir, to see if they fit the requirements. If not, we will
then have to make something new, perhaps as a rewrite of an existing tool.

The IEUG members are putting together requirements for a package manager
and will work with the community and Ericsson to create a standard and
address any voids which exists in the existing tooling, funding necessary
efforts required.

Best regards

Bruce Yinhe

Erlang Community Manager