[erlang-questions] What lib to use for http requests

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz@REDACTED
Sat Dec 13 21:27:25 CET 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Felix Gallo wrote:
> httpc has some weird bugs under load and should be retired from the
> standard distribution.

Hi Felix,

you clearly have experienced httpc's limitations/bugs, so I'm curious
to hear your thoughts on the following.

What's the solution?
1) replace httpc's implementation with hackney?

2) rewrite httpc?

3) drop httpc?
I haven't used httpc enough to run into the mentioned issues, but I do
wonder why instead of fixing httpc we, as a community, write more than
a few alternative http clients. Is it because it's easy to do like a
httpd?

I think it's very important that the network code in otp.git is fixed
and improved where necessary to leave external httpd or httpc libs to
special purpose cases. Other languages don't seem to suffer from this
and carry http[c,d] libs which are well-maintained and the go to
implementation for common use cases.

Also see:
http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2014-February/077766.html

With all that said, I'm confident the OTP team would more than welcome
improvements or even replacements for inets components.