[erlang-questions] Fwd: erlang:trace/3 and cpu_timestamp

mats cronqvist masse@REDACTED
Fri Apr 25 12:35:17 CEST 2014

  man clock_gettime says;
"The  CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID and CLOCK_THREAD_CPUTIME_ID clocks are
realized on many platforms using timers from the CPUs  (TSC on i386,
AR.ITC  on Itanium). These  registers  may differ between CPUs and as a
consequence these clocks may return bogus results if a process is migrated
to  another CPU."

  Assuming that this is what you refer to, it seems wrong to disable
cpu_timestamp on Linux. E.g., what if I run on a single-core machine? Or if
my hardware is modern enough to support cross-core synchronized TSC?

  Also, that man page seems to be from 2007. It doesn't seem inconceivable
that the kernel has grown features since then.

  So, OTP has disabled cpu_timestamp on all Linux machines, because it
might give bad data on some hardware/kernel combinations. I would be
happier if I could decide myself if I want to trust the data or not.