[erlang-questions] how do you build your releases with/without rebar?

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Sun Apr 13 20:25:30 CEST 2014

You can't run Erlang without OTP today. (You *could* after you rewrite
half of it, and send a couple patches to OTP, but there's no alternative
today.)

But you can run it without ssl, or diameter, or wx, or edoc... Most
applications could be separated from the Erlang repository without much
trouble.

I don't use git submodules or rebar so I can't say how it is for them.

Personally when I need to change the interface of a library I first make
that change, tag a new version, then go to the applications and bump the
dependency's version. If I need to make sure this change is improving
the bigger application while doing it, I just create a symlink and do
changes in both sides at the same time. The bump in the other repository
doesn't often happen immediately. I usually want user feedback about a
new Ranch version before I make Cowboy use it, for example.

Quick user feedback is very important. There are a lot of people who
would gladly run the bleeding edge ssl application (for example) rather
than the one from 3 months ago, and these people give early feedback
that allows the ssl application to get improved faster. It's currently
hard to use a bleeding edge version of an app that comes with Erlang,
you pretty much have to run master or go through hoops to extract only
the ssl application (and more hoops to keep it up to date possibly).

There's been hints from the OTP team of going in a similar direction to
that already. Or perhaps it was just Bjorn-Egil the rebel. We'll see!

--
Loïc Hoguin
http://ninenines.eu