[erlang-questions] compile: making asm and core official

Peer Stritzinger peerst@REDACTED
Thu Nov 28 00:28:58 CET 2013

On 2013-11-25 03:16:11 +0000, Richard A. O'Keefe said:

> On 23/11/2013, at 11:56 AM, Peer Stritzinger wrote:
>>
>> I find the choices of *.core and *.S unfortunate, since they are used
>> for core dumps and native assembler files on many unixoid systems.
>
> More precisely, the UNIX convention is to use ".s" for assembler,
> but some POSIX systems (like Mac OS X) ignore alphabetic case when
> matching file names.  I have found the use of .S something of an
> annoyance on occasion.

The uppercase ".S" extension is to my knowledge used for assembler that
need C preprocessing.

I checked with GNU make and BSD make: both run the C preprocessor on
files with ".S" extension to create a file withe ".s" extension.  Of
course on case insensitive filesystems this wont work.

Cheers
-- Peer