[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Fri Oct 19 14:01:54 CEST 2012

I think that this topic will reinncarnate again and again.

Package managers are ok only for box-products. For example:
apt-get install rabbitmq (depends on erlang-nox and something else)

When we speak about in-house development, it is impossible to use
package manager for frequent deploy, because it is inconvenient.  git
pull is much faster and better.

Erlang is used primarily for in-house development when you can't rely
on repository maintainers.

Damn! There is no default Erlang R15B02 neither in Ubuntu, neither in
Centos/Fedora. What are we speaking about? How can someone seriously
speak about using packages, when it takes a year to update erlang in
distributives???