[erlang-questions] Pmods, packages, Unicode source code and column numbers in compiler - what will happen in R16?

José Valim jose.valim@REDACTED
Wed Oct 17 23:21:18 CEST 2012

> I assumed removing pmod syntax  was the first step in a complete
> deprecation process.

The way I see it, the OTP team is removing pmod from OTP but it is still
*supported* as a third-party component. So removing tuple modules would
effectively disable support for the feature, since the performance costs
would become prohibitive if one tries to emulate the feature using only
Erlang, based on Richard Carlsson previous e-mail.

This is a long shot but if we could somehow express beam's call-site cache
in Erlang Abstract Format so one could completely emulate the feature using
pure Erlang, it would be easier to remove it.

Anyway, it is just my interpretation of the announcements. :)

*José Valim*
www.plataformatec.com.br
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer