[erlang-questions] Fwd: Re: (Non)Parametrized modules, inheritance, and R15B02 issues?

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 21:36:46 CEST 2012

End of speculation, we have made a number of decisions for the upcoming
R16B ( end of February). We will describe this in more detail on this list
and on erlang.org
next week. Parameterized modules is part of this decision,  and there is no
need to worry. The code using them today will continue to work.

But as said more details will come soon.

/Kenneth, Erlang/OTP Ericsson
---------- Vidarebefordrat meddelande ----------
Från: "Ulf Wiger" <ulf@REDACTED>
Datum: 12 okt 2012 19:46
Ämne: Re: [erlang-questions] (Non)Parametrized modules, inheritance, and
R15B02 issues?
Till: "Yurii Rashkovskii" <yrashk@REDACTED>
Kopia: "Tomas Morstein" <tmr@REDACTED>, <erlang-programming@REDACTED>,
"erlang-questions@REDACTED" <erlang-questions@REDACTED>

Oh, well… :)

OTOH, Björn Gustavsson himself said earlier (8 Oct):

Are you sure? What I have understood from previous email
messages on this list is that many projects use "tuple modules"
(which is an implementation detail in parameterized modules)
and not parameterized modules directly. See for instance:

http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-January/063915.html

We are thinking about removing the compiler support for parameterized
modules, but keeping the low-level mechanism in erlang:apply/3 and
the inheritance hack in the error_handler module.

Just for fun, FWIW, I wrote a little parse transform that gives
roughly the same functionality as parameterized modules,
but without relying on the special syntax.

https://github.com/uwiger/parse_trans/commit/ae7163f3dbc2d3cbf23fb9a796b7f2e576dab09a

Note how it's in parse_trans/examples/, so it's mainly for fun.
It does seem to work, though.

BR,
Ulf W

On 12 Oct 2012, at 19:35, Yurii Rashkovskii wrote:

>From what I learned earlier this year, tuple modules have a bleak future as
well:

===

[1] > But I was wondering if there's any word out about the fate of tuple
> modules? The ones like {erlang}:element(1). Are they expected to be
> kept around? (I certainly hope they are :)

No, we don't expect to keep them.

[…]

/Björn

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com