[erlang-questions] (Non)Parametrized modules, inheritance, and R15B02 issues?

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Mon Oct 8 17:19:14 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:31 AM, Björn Gustavsson <bgustavsson@REDACTED>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Gordon Guthrie <gordon@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> >> No, it is not. It is a recommendation to think twice about using
> >> experimental fetures when writing new code or fixing old code.
> >
> > Yeah, but the point of building on libraries is so as not to write code
> at all..
>
> We are not doing this to break people's code, but because there is
> cost to keeping experimental features forever in the language.
>
> Hopefully mochiweb will continue to work if we keep the apply/3 and
> error_handler hacks; if not, the maintainers of Mochiweb and we in
> the OTP team could probably come up with some solution to keep
> Mochiweb working.

The API of mochiweb is a pair of parameterized modules, mochiweb_request
and mochiweb_response. It doesn't use tuple module hacks except maybe for
some tests. If there's some backwards compatible change that can be done to
mochiweb to ensure its future compatibility, I'd be happy to do that.

If you're worried about parameterized modules going away and breaking
mochiweb, it might be a good time to switch to cowboy or yaws. These two
are much more future-proof.

-bob