[erlang-questions] Erlang http servers

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Tue Oct 2 19:23:30 CEST 2012

Roberto,

On 10/2/2012 12:50 PM, Roberto Ostinelli wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Serge Aleynikov <serge@REDACTED
> <mailto:serge@REDACTED>> wrote:
>
>     The results are quite surprising - everyone who seems comfortable coding
>     in Erlang, feels compelled to implement an HTTP server.
>

> I find this quite offensive to all the people that are putting efforts
> and releasing their own work open source (and especially in BSD/MIT
> terms). But I'm sure that you only meant to be provocative. :)

I am guilty too of having implemented my own small Erlang HTTP server at
some point in the past before deciding to switch to using inets!  :-)

> I too believed that too many duplication of efforts were going on, and
> that's the reason why I've stopped misultin development [1] something
> like 8 months ago. The main result that I've obtained in closing
> misultin was to push people to concentrate efforts around cowboy and
> yaws, and at least as far as cowboy goes, this has been a success
> (judging by the number of products that I've helped switching over).

Concerning misultin, I did previously look at it and thought it was
great.  Despite the success, your decision to close it in favor of
promoting other http server initiatives was very much admirable.

> However, I believe everyone should do whatever they feel like. Open
> source and many projects are the result of a bunch of intelligent people
> desires to bring their own creatures to life., andI see nothing bad in
> that. I'm actually sorry to read statements such as "diversity is bad"
> or "too many options".
>
> This. is. open sooooooooooource. [2]

See my previous post.  I don't think we disagree in terms of what you
said above.

BR,

Serge