[erlang-questions] How should I create minor patch to OTP?

Henrik Nord henrik@REDACTED
Tue Jun 26 11:13:52 CEST 2012

Hi

You should not have to do a rebase if you are already on the maint branch.

I think I understand why you are confused though. It says on the github
wiki that you should pull from 'master' and then do 'git rebase upstream
master' if you have been working on your patch for a long time.
This is based on the assumption that you are actually working on a patch
for the 'master' branch. If you are working on a 'maint' based patch,
then you should substitute 'master' with 'maint' in the instructions on
the wiki:

git clone git@REDACTED:your_username/otp.git
git remote add upstream git://github.com/erlang/otp.git
git checkout maint
and continue as instructed in the wiki

and if you work on the patch along time and want to rebase it upon the
latest version on 'maint'

git fetch upstream
git checkout new_feature_name
git rebase upstream/maint

If this is not your problem, and maybe you are already based on 'master'
and want to rebase you branch upon 'maint' I suggest the following:

checkout your branch.
open gitk on your branch.
in the terminal reset your branch to the tip of the 'maint' branch (git
reset --hard maint)
then rightklick on your commit(s) in gitk, and chose "cherry-pick this
commit"

This will take your changes and apply them on a fresh version of 'maint'
without requiring you to handle any merge/rebase conflicts!

I hope this have been helpful in some way.
Do not hesitate to send me any questions regarding patches or the
preparation of them!
Thank you for your future contributions!

On 06/26/2012 09:19 AM, Max Lapshin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to follow instructions on
> https://github.com/erlang/otp/wiki/submitting-patches
>
> In short: they don't work out of the box.
>

> You ask to use "maint" branch for minor improvement, but I really
> don't understand what exactly should I do to
> make patch properly. Trying to follow supplied instructions end in
> "CONFLICT" while making  git rebase
>
> Maybe it would be better to add simple, but working snippet of code,
> how exactly you want to prepare git repo?

/Henrik Nord Erlang/OTP