[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Fri Jun 8 09:47:09 CEST 2012

On 8 Jun 2012, at 01:33, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> We must be looking at different pages somehow.
> I clicked on that link, and searched for FOP.

[…]
> The "Build Issues" part of section 3.6 mentions problems
> with Java running out of memory, suggests a way to cope,
> and directs you to an Apache web page.

Yes, that was what I meant. Apologies for my terseness.
I should perhaps have written something along the lines of
"that page does explain some of the tricky aspects of the OTP
build system, including some of the problems *I* have
encountered. such as the out-of-heap memory problems
with FOP.

Due to time pressures, that was somehow reduced to
"at the very least, the github wiki should have a link…".
I still think it should, but more is definitely needed.

> There is *nothing* about any *other* problems with FOP.
> In particular, the problem I ran into yesterday and reported
> in this mailing list is *not* there.

I can imagine that many people who run into problems don't
think to go to that page, and so are less likely to give any
feedback on it.

> fop -fo ../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.fo -pdf ../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.pdf
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/fop/cli/Main
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.fop.cli.Main
>        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
>        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
>        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
>        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
> make[3]: *** [../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.pdf] Error 1
>
> I have now found the cause: a copy-and-paste error in setting
> up $FOP_HOME.

I think the wiki and Erlang docs should clearly discourage people
from running FOP - and 'fakefop' should be the default - *unless*
you want to produce PDFs.

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com