[erlang-questions] FOP (was: Re: Trace-Driven Development)

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Jun 8 01:33:56 CEST 2012

On 7/06/2012, at 10:13 PM, Ulf Wiger wrote:
> At the very least, the github wiki should have a link to the OTP
> installation guide,
>
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/installation_guide/INSTALL.html

Section 3.8 starts with the non-sentence "GS now Tcl/Tk 8.4."
Presumably the word "uses" or "requires" has dropped out here.

> which among many other things covers what to do when you
> run into problems with FOP.

We must be looking at different pages somehow.
I clicked on that link, and searched for FOP.
Just two things turned up:

The "Building Documentation" part of section 3.4 says that
FOP is needed and where to get it.

The "Build Issues" part of section 3.6 mentions problems
with Java running out of memory, suggests a way to cope,
and directs you to an Apache web page.

There is *nothing* about any *other* problems with FOP.
In particular, the problem I ran into yesterday and reported
in this mailing list is *not* there.

Let me show once more what I get when I try 'make docs':

fop -fo ../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.fo -pdf ../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.pdf
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/fop/cli/Main
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.fop.cli.Main
make[3]: *** [../pdf/stdlib-1.18.1.pdf] Error 1

I have now found the cause: a copy-and-paste error in setting
up $FOP_HOME.  That fixed, I ran straight into the out-of-memory
error.  The default heap space for Java is just 64MiB; if this is
such a well known problem with such an easy fix, why not just
patch the relevant Makefile(s) to set FOP_OPTS suitably?