[erlang-questions] unanswered beginner questions in the list

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jun 1 09:22:27 CEST 2012

Hi,

We had an interesting discussion at the EUC.

One relatively new user observed that several new converts to Erlang
had asked questions in this
list and not gotten a reply.

I took a quick look at the list statistics and indeed this it true.

What usually happens is - I read the list every day and see a lot of
questions that I know
how to answer - but I don't immediately answer.

The reason for this is that a) I haven't time and b)  I hope somebody
else will answer
and then I won't need to.

I think it would be a good idea if those of us who might qualify as being
"knowledgeable persons" could take the trouble to occasionally answer
 questions from apparent beginners that have not been answered.

After a threshold of say 3 days - then at least *somebody* could attempt
an answer so that beginner to Erlang don't feel unloved when they
reach to this list.

Of course, some extremely knowledgable and well-known people ask
extremely difficult
questions here - and zero replies should probably
be taken as a sign that "nobody knows the answer"

We could even have volunteers among those who posses the knowledge to answer
all unanswered beginners questions.

Cheers

/Joe