[erlang-questions] Erlang multicore on AMD: 24 cores (48 pseudocores)

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Wed Apr 18 21:17:11 CEST 2012

Hello,

In some respect, Robert you are right regarding the choice of HW platform.
By the end platform has to be optimized for your tasks, use-cases and hosting requirments...
The final metric is cost per TX, cost per user....

I am not sure, what system you are developing but I am speaking form prism of Consumer Internet Services where horizontal scalability is only one sensible approach to carry on the traffic.

Indeed, less nodes you have it is easy to manage and they often perform better due to local IPC, buses, caches, etc. On another hand, you have to invest into high-end HW to mitigate various bottleneck. As the result, high cost per user and more expensive to keep redundancy and scalability.

Bunch of smaller CotS nodes might show worst performance but the system much more robust in terms of HW failure and  bursty traffic. I would not worry about management... If you have 6+ nodes then management practices shall be automated. You start to follow up Erlang mantra "Let it fail". When I've tasked to build 60+ node Erlang cluster. First item in the task list was a collection of management tools to destroy and recover a nodes from scratch...

Max, you have to answer couple of question for you self.
1. Where servers are hosted?
2. Is DC has enough facility for multiple node config?
3. What are the role of solution OLTP or Batch Jobs?
4. What are redundancy/availability requirements?
5. what are the traffic profiles?
6. what is you budget and solution life time?

based on them you can make a proper decision. If you are just curios about Erlang performance. Vertical vs Horizontal then EC2 would be a good tools. I've been running Erlang evaluation on bare HW and EC2 (long time ago very old HW). For CPU bound load there is not big difference once CPU utilization below 60%. I think 4xLarge vs 1xHigh-CPU XL would be a good setup to validate scalability of your approach.

- Dmitry