[erlang-questions] Erlang multicore on AMD: 24 cores (48 pseudocores)

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Wed Apr 18 20:03:45 CEST 2012

> (how many rows can we process per hour for $25,000...) in our case, bigger
> more specialized machines crushed a far greater number of cheap machines for
> the same dollar amount).

Ok, lets discuss this interesting moment.

It is possible to buy cheap Core i7 box in Moscow for $700.  AMD
Opteron with 64 cores costs $7100 in Moscow. So it is $110 per core
for 2,2GHz AMD and $175 per core for 3,6GHz Intel.

Even if not to speak about power consumption and don't discuss
frequencies, I'm afraid that 64 cores will fight for the same memory
bus and other PC resources.

So perhaps there is some limit in multicoring? It is very interesting
that your results show that more cores in single box are always
better. Maybe there is some communication between tasks in your
processing code?