[erlang-questions] GPL3 - EPL compatibility

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue May 17 20:28:23 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Richard Carlsson <
carlsson.richard@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 04/26/2011 06:40 PM, Roberto Majadas Lopez wrote:
>
>> 2011/4/26 Jesse Gumm <sigmastar@REDACTED <mailto:sigmastar@REDACTED>>
>>

>>    You're free to release a program under any license you want.  The EPL
>>    pertains to the Erlang language itself, not necessarily to programs
>>    written in Erlang.
>>

> The Erlang language itself is not licensed - anyone can make their own
> implementation if they want.

If memory serves me well this is not quite true. Erlang is (or at least
was)  registered
as a trademark in many countries. You are free to make your own
implementation but
not call it Erlang. The thinking behind this was to try and stop people
making a language
that was called Erlang but that did not have Erlang semantics, they would
have to
use a different name - this is a completely separate issue to the licensing
issue.

This was done years ago before open source became open and was still closed
- I have
no idea if this still applies today.

If you want to make your own Erlang feel free, but give it a new name like
iErlang for
example...

Observant folks will have noticed that Microsoft and others are suing Apple
over trademarking claims to the string "App Store"

/Joe