[erlang-questions] GPL3 - EPL compatibility

Jesse Gumm sigmastar@REDACTED
Wed May 18 02:39:49 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Richard Carlsson
<carlsson.richard@REDACTED> wrote:
> but generallly, code running under an interpreter is
> just considered to be input and is not affected by the licensing (see e.g.
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfInterpreterIsGPL). Perhaps this
> is what Jesse meant.

You are correct, that is what I meant.  Code you write is yours,
regardless of the language it's written in.

An .erl file you write is yours to release as you will, with the
license of your choise, even if it interacts with code or libraries
that you didn't write.  That's not to say you can re-release someone
else's code (ie the Erlang VM or its libraries) under whatever license
you want.

And the OP sounds like he just wants to write his own stuff and
distribute it on github or whatever.  There are no problems there in
doing so.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Gumm