[erlang-questions] Erlang for Speech Recognition

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta@REDACTED
Sun Jun 19 16:45:40 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Ivan Uemlianin <ivan@REDACTED> wrote:

<snip>

> ** Audio Preprocessor
>
> Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) is essentially mapping a sequence of
> integers (i.e., acoustic signals) onto a sequence of linguistic symbols
> (i.e., phonemes (units of linguistic sound) or words).  The raw audio data
> (e.g. from a wav file or a microphone) is not terribly useful for this and
> the first step is to convert this data into a more useful abstract
> representation.  Each 100ms of sound is transformed into a feature vector of
> 39 features, known as Mel-Frequency Cepstral Co-efficients (MFCCs).

<snip>

Doesn't that remember where I'd read this, but the topic was something like
"what Erlang as a language is probably not well suited for...", and
significant amount of mathematical calculation, was probably one of those.
Has that stand changed ? Could it be a factor to consider ?

--
regards,
BDutta