[erlang-questions] Caching server

Eric Merritt ericbmerritt@REDACTED
Mon Feb 21 15:26:31 CET 2011

Nicholas,

The example in the book isn't production capable, and was designed for
teaching more then to be production. However, this approach should be
fine in Erlang. Erlang can handle extremely large numbers of processes
on commodity hardware. The big caveat to this is you need to figure
out what the number of processes that can live on the hardware you are
going to be using, then come up with a distribution mechanism if that
number is exceeded. Fortunately in erlang this isn't a big deal. This
number is probably very high, at the very least in the hundreds of
thousands and maybe into the millions depending on your hardware. As
always, the key is doing some testing and figuring out what your
limits are.

Eric