What's wrong with this code?

Marcel Meyer marcel.meyer@REDACTED
Sun Feb 20 07:33:05 CET 2011

Dear Community,
I am having a hard time debugging a certain behaviour in the following
code.
The general premise of this code is that a bunch of these 'nodes' get
spawned, and then
they have to figure out how they are related. (So here in the test() func,
node 1 is the parent of 2, and 2 the parent of 3.)
When you start a node, you give it an Id and tell it who it's Parent is.
Using io:formats, I confirm that everyone finds a parent (except for the
root).
But when I ask node 2 for his children (node2 ! get_children), he has none,
and this is incorrect.
The current io:format of the state acknowledges that of a moment there,
node2 did have children.

Thank you in advance,
Marcel

-module(node).
-record(state, {id, pid, parentId, ppid, children=[]}).
-compile([export_all]).

test() ->
    Nodes = [{1, 0}, {2, 1}, {3, 2}],
    Pids = [spawn(?MODULE, start, [Id, ParentId]) || {Id, ParentId} <-
Nodes],
    [Pid ! {connect, Pids} || Pid <- Pids],
    started.

start(Id, ParentId) ->
    io:format("I am ~p (~p) and my parent Id is ~p~n", [Id, self(),
ParentId]),
    loop(#state{id=Id, pid=self(), parentId=ParentId}).

loop(#state{id=Id, parentId=ParentId}=S) ->
    receive
{connect, Pids} ->
    find_parent(S, Pids),
    loop(S);
 {parent, Pid} ->
    io:format("---> ~p found parent @ ~p~n", [Id, Pid]),
    loop(#state{id=Id, parentId=ParentId, ppid=Pid});
 {id, TestId, ChildId, Pid1}  ->

    NewState = case TestId == Id of
   true ->
       Pid1 ! {parent, self()},
       Children = S#state.children,
       S#state{children=[{ChildId, Pid1} | Children]};
   _ ->
       end,
    io:format("Query: am I ~p's parent? ~p. New state:~p~n", [ChildId,
TestId==Id, NewState]),
    loop(NewState);

get_children ->
    io:format("~p~n", [S]),
    loop(S);
 _ ->
    loop(S)
    end.

find_parent(#state{parentId=ParentId, id=Id}, Pids) ->
    [Pid ! {id, ParentId, Id, self()} || Pid <- Pids].