[erlang-questions] Regarding clearing gen_server state

Bernard Duggan bernie@REDACTED
Sun Feb 20 00:25:00 CET 2011

Depending on exactly what sort of housekeeping you're talking about,
it's often possible to approach the problem from the other direction.
Say you've got some limited resource being handed out by process P to
your gen_server Q.  In this case I always have P monitor Q and reclaim
the resource itself if Q exits (presuming Q hasn't already released the
resource itself).  This doesn't cover every possible case of
"housekeeping", but, at least in my case, I've found it does drastically
shrink the amount of self-cleanup any process has to worry about (to
nothing at all, in most cases).

For other cases, the 'heir' option on ETS that Steve suggested is a
reasonable option.

Perhaps some more specific examples might help people suggest the most
appropriate solution, though.

Cheers,

Bernard