[erlang-questions] Status of "frames"? Replacing records...

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Feb 14 15:20:28 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:19 AM, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri@REDACTED> wrote:
> As the creator of Reia, a language for the Erlang VM, I keep hearing rumors
> of "frames", a runtime construct which can supplement/replace records, and
> am very interested in this as my language contains two things (dicts and
> object instance variables/hidden state) which are great candidates for
> replacement with frames. As dicts are first-class constructs in Reia, I
> would like for pattern matching to work with them, and short of frames, my
> best choice is orddicts, which I'm strongly considering moving to for the
> interim, although orddicts alone can't supply the semantics I want whereas
> frames could.
>
> More information about frames and the proposed implementation is available
> here:
>
> http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/staffpriv/ok/frames.pdf
>
> So I'd like to ask the Erlang/OTP team (and the community) what the actual
> implementation status of frames is. Is it just an idea? Is it actively being
> worked on? If it's actively being worked on, how soon can we plan on seeing
> a release which supports them, at least experimentally?

Hi,

We, the Erlang/OTP team at Ericsson see the frames proposal as one of
several interesting proposals for
a better than "records" solution. We are currently not working active
with any of these proposals but we have in our long term plans to do
it some day.
I cannot say when that will be but most probably not this year.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson