Questions about OTP debugging...

Peter W. Morreale pmorreale@REDACTED
Tue Feb 1 00:17:28 CET 2011

I'm new to Erlang and OTP and have some general questions about
debugging.  I'm learning erland and otp with the books: Programming
Erlang" and "Erlang and OTP".

Currently I'm working on the "tcp_rpc" example in the OTP book.  I have
the tr_server module written and working according to the example in the
book.  Now I'm trying to add a supervisor and application to create a
complete OTP application.

At the moment I have all the source created and compiled, as referenced
by the code in the book.  When I attempt to start the application, I get
the following:

pmorreale@REDACTED:~/erlang> cd rpc
pmorreale@REDACTED:~/erlang/rpc> erl -pa ebin
Erlang R14B (erts-5.8.1) [source] [64-bit] [smp:2:2] [rq:2]
[async-threads:0] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.8.1  (abort with ^G)
1> application:start(tcp_rpc).
{error,{not_loaded,tcp_rpc}}
2>

The question is how to debug this?  Please note that I'm less interested
in getting this app to work, than to learn debugging strategies related
to erlang and OTP.

Is there some flag/etc available to turn on logging or tracing?

Thanks,
-PWM