[erlang-questions] Curiosity about MochiWeb (no questions this time)

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Nov 5 10:32:27 CET 2010

No, the behavior described is only relevant to how accepting sockets
works. This does not limit the number of active requests you have and
it is not at all relevant to long polling.

It exists for the sole purpose of trying to minimize variance for how
long accept will block by doing it from a parallel pool of processes.
Once the socket has been accepted the process starts handling the
request and a new acceptor process is created to take its place. You
have 16+N processes looking at sockets, 16 of them blocking on accept
and N of them working on active requests. The timeout of 2 seconds is
just a sledgehammer to make sure that the whole accept pool don't get
tied up waiting on some series of problematic sockets.

This whole part of the system might be a little pessimistic but the
point of this work was to try and hunt down some boogeyman in our
stack that would make some very small percentage of requests take
several seconds instead of several msec. It didn't ultimately fix the
whole problem but we did notice lower variance so we kept it.