[erlang-questions] Reading (and ignoring) escape-sequences

Hynek Vychodil hynek@REDACTED
Fri Mar 26 22:22:21 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Mazen Harake
<mazen.harake@REDACTED> wrote:
> Ok fair enough I understand what you were aiming for but I certainly don't
> agree. I believe your comparison to OOP in perl is not at all the same. Just
> because Erlang has certain characteristics which it is known for (which
> doesn't involve reading input data) it doesn't mean that it shouldn't have a
> decent way of reading input data!? It is like saying "Why do you want good
> wheels on an air plane when it spends most of its time flying?"
>
> Erlang must be able to read input, so why not do that well?

Well, I think Erlang is able read input well. What are you arguing is
distinguish escape codes from other input. Sorry, it is not same.

> On 26/03/2010 18:11, Hasan Alayli wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Mazen Harake
>> <mazen.harake@REDACTED>  wrote:
>>

>>> Well, I think you are wrong to be honest. It is probably more general
>>> purpose than you might think. I have seen Erlang being used from
>>> everything
>>> from telecom-systems to sorting and processing files on local disk.
>>>
>>> It is exactly this that is my point that it needs better support for
>>> these
>>> things if it is to become more general purpose.
>>>

>> I can see telecom-systems requiring fault tolerance, high availability
>> and the ability to handle concurrent operations. So Erlang feels
>> natural in this context because it solves such problems easier than
>> other languages.
>>
>> Erlang wasn't designed to be used in the context you are using
>> although it is possible. But you will hit many walls and blame the
>> language, and that was my original point.
>>
>> It is like when a programmer attempts to implement object oriented
>> patterns in Perl. It is possible, but it is not natural compared to
>> Java/Python/Smalltalk for example. The programmer has to go out of his
>> way to do that and this is when he should figure out that the language
>> was not designed for this purpose.
>>
>> Just a thought.

> WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!
>
> Since January 1st 2010 Erlang Training and Consulting Ltd. has become ERLANG
> SOLUTIONS LTD.
>
> www.erlang-solutions.com

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill
your boss.  Be a data hero!
Try GoodData now for free: www.gooddata.com