[erlang-questions] Reading (and ignoring) escape-sequences

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Fri Mar 26 20:51:07 CET 2010

Ok fair enough I understand what you were aiming for but I certainly
don't agree. I believe your comparison to OOP in perl is not at all the
same. Just because Erlang has certain characteristics which it is known
for (which doesn't involve reading input data) it doesn't mean that it
shouldn't have a decent way of reading input data!? It is like saying
"Why do you want good wheels on an air plane when it spends most of its
time flying?"

Erlang must be able to read input, so why not do that well?

On 26/03/2010 18:11, Hasan Alayli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Mazen Harake
> <mazen.harake@REDACTED>  wrote:
>
>> Well, I think you are wrong to be honest. It is probably more general
>> purpose than you might think. I have seen Erlang being used from everything
>> from telecom-systems to sorting and processing files on local disk.
>>
>> It is exactly this that is my point that it needs better support for these
>> things if it is to become more general purpose.
>>

> I can see telecom-systems requiring fault tolerance, high availability
> and the ability to handle concurrent operations. So Erlang feels
> natural in this context because it solves such problems easier than
> other languages.
>
> Erlang wasn't designed to be used in the context you are using
> although it is possible. But you will hit many walls and blame the
> language, and that was my original point.
>
> It is like when a programmer attempts to implement object oriented
> patterns in Perl. It is possible, but it is not natural compared to
> Java/Python/Smalltalk for example. The programmer has to go out of his
> way to do that and this is when he should figure out that the language
> was not designed for this purpose.
>
> Just a thought.

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com