[erlang-questions] Reading (and ignoring) escape-sequences

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Fri Mar 26 12:16:58 CET 2010

Actually it had, I never knew that sort of things had existed. It is ok
though, worse ideas have been implemented. Usability is a whole topic on
its own but keep in mind that "usability" can mean different things for
different people.

If a person with shaky hands is operating a computer _only_ selecting
menus with space, bksp and enter, then sure I'm with you all the way; If
he/she need to type on any of the 50+ other keys on the keyboard then I
take it that it doesn't matter _how_ you design your software the
"usability" is going to be bad either way unless you make all the keys
to scale of course but that would look silly wouldn't it (although
perhaps "usable" for that person).

"look like Windows" in this case is, believe it or not, actually a good
thing [in this case].

On 26/03/2010 03:06, Richard O'Keefe wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2010, at 12:45 AM, Mazen Harake wrote:
>> Initial tests indicate good results. This is great because I would
>> _never_ have used a terminal GUI which asks me to hit _space_ for
>> going down a list and _bksp_ for going up... it is simply not good
>> usability.
>
> It may have escaped your attention, but
>  - space for forwards and backspace for backwards is an old
>    convention that was in use before even MS-DOS existed;
>    worked fine
>  - the space and delete keys are much bigger than the arrow keys
>    and are therefore easier to hit; they are _more_ usable for
>    people with shaky hands.
> I think you mean "doesn't look like Windows".

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com