[erlang-questions] Italian User Group

Francesca Gangemi francesca.gangemi@REDACTED
Tue Mar 16 15:44:05 CET 2010

Ovidiu Deac wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Francesca Gangemi
> <francesca.gangemi@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> If you speak Italian (no matter where you live) join the Erlang Etna
>> User group at http://groups.google.com/group/erlang-etna?pli=1 :)
>>

> Just for my curiosity, what's the point of having an erlang group
> based on the language you speak? Why would it be important that I
> speak Italian but I live in Indochina and you speak Italian but you
> live in Rome?
>
> Isn't it better to have a big group since more people share the same
> information?

We already have this ML for sharing information and there's no intention
to replicate this big group! :)

> I totally understand the need to have a group for a certain geographic
> area. This makes sense for example for finding/posting erlang jobs in
> the area.

I think User Groups are not for just locating erlang jobs in a specific
area.
I see an User Group as a group of people that are interested in Erlang,
try to learn more about it, help other people solving problems and
spread Erlang knowledge. A good way to achieve this is organizing events
and meetings in order to share experiences. Hence the local user groups
acting and organizing events in a certain geographic area.
It's hard to meet every day so most of the time user groups just discuss
things on a ML. To send an email you can be anywhere in the world and
the more we are the more knowledge and ideas we share. That's why I
invited people to join the Erlang Etna User Group even if they don't
live on top of the volcano :)

Regarding the language, I think it's natural to start with the native
one since in the group there are just Italians so far. This doesn't mean
English speakers can't subscribe to the group if they are interested.
There's no filter so you're all welcome. I think English should be used
in meetings/documents/mails if it helps to reach more people but native
languages should not be disregarded a priori.

Kind regards
Francesca

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com