[erlang-questions] 8k limit on gen_tcp:recv?

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Thu Mar 11 01:14:40 CET 2010

At some point you have to give up on parsing a long URL to prevent a
denial of service attack. I don't know if that limit is documented or
configurable, I haven't recently looked at the code that handles
parsing HTTP requests.

I'm sure someone knows about it, but it's definitely not something
everyone knows.

Is there a use case for such a long URL? Most browsers and servers
have some kind of limit (2038 for IE, 8190 for apache 2.2 by default,
16k for IIS, ...). 8k might be a little conservative, but how far do
you really want to go?