[erlang-questions] How to deal with Mnesia core files

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Mar 2 08:38:10 CET 2010

This view has certainly been put forth by others in the past,
and I recall having argued for this myself. The problem is that
mnesia amortizes the housekeeping cost over time, in the form of
log dumps. This makes transactions on disk-based copies return
faster than they otherwise should be, but that a high transaction
load may accumulate a processing debt.

The thing that makes mnesia dump core is that it hits a system
limit (max number of ets tables). This limit is configurable, but
the better solution would be to regulate the system load so that
the mnesia log dumps don't stack up.

How to do this may well be system dependent. You need to locate
the points of entry into your system that eventually trigger work
against mnesia disk tables, and also identify ways to detect
overload conditions. The 'mnesia overloaded' event is one such
indicator that might be of use.

BR,
Ulf W

--
Ulf Wiger
CTO, Erlang Solutions Ltd, formerly Erlang Training & Consulting Ltd

WE'VE CHANGED NAMES!

www.erlang-solutions.com