[erlang-questions] Re: Will parameterized modules become an official part of Erlang?

Michael Turner leap@REDACTED
Mon Feb 22 08:53:57 CET 2010

I have no opinion on any of these (extends, packages, parameterized
modules) at the moment.  I'm wondering, however: perhaps it would be
wise if, in the future, these sorts of experimental extensions were
announced and supplied *only* if they came with refactoring tools for
reverting the code, so that people who committed strongly to the use of
such a feature could always back out later, if the idea dead-ends?

I looked briefly at parameterized modules, but I got cold feet when I
noticed they weren't officially supported.  If there were some way to
use them with the confidence that, if dropped, one could automatically
transform code that uses them into something that doesn't use them,
with little loss of legibility and no new errors introduced, I probably
would have been more inclined to experiment.  And you want a lot of
experimenters, to inform and support any keep/drop decision.

-michael turner