[erlang-questions] What about making sense?

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Feb 19 16:41:50 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM, Michael Richter <ttmrichter@REDACTED> wrote:
> I think we have a lot of cross-talk going on here.
> Item: Some people believe that the Erlang docs as they are interfere with
> comprehension, partially because of inconsistent and unusual use of
> terminology.
> Item: Some people see no problem with the docs as they are.
> The truth lies somewhere in the middle, I believe.
> The docs are nowhere near as dire as some of the more vociferous
> commentators are portraying them.  Are they ideal?  No.  Are they even good?
>  Not really.  They are about average for this industry (which is a
> condemnation of the industry's standards, not of the writers).  They are,
> however, adequate.  As references.  If you already know what it is you're
> looking for (or should be looking for) the docs as they stand are more than
> adequate.

> What they are terrible for is learning tools.  This is a problem in general
> for Erlang, partially because it's a relatively new tool on the scene (the
> public scene, that is -- I know it's been around for ages inside Ericcson)
> and partially because it's a small community around it with only a very
> small number of grognards who know it all.

Correct - the OTP documentation was designed for a target audience
of internal Ericssomn folk who has already been on a course, and who could
stop me or Uffe or Robert, Klacke etc. in the corridor and ask us a question

> On the learning front now we have two great tools (Programming Erlang and
> Erlang Programming) with a third on the way (Erlang and OTP in Action) for
> tutorial introductions.  These first two have been great for my picking up
> Erlang, for example, but now another barrier has crossed my path.  There's
> no documentation in between the "Erlang for Complete Newbs" stuff and the
> "Reminders for the Grognards" stuff.

Great - the books were designed for beginners - my target audience
were "folk who were proficient in Java and had no exposure to FPLs"
In fact we got some tame Java programmers to read few sample chapters
before deciding the final level of complexity.

So far no surprises - the OTP documentaion and books meet *exactly* the
requirements we had when we started the projects.

What's happing now is a shift in the requirements.

I'd like to ask some pointed questions, the results will influene what happens
next.

Can anybody point me to a good free survey site - I want to ask questions
and get a histogram of the replies. If we can first find out *what* you want
we can then figure out *how* to achieve it.

The first question is about books. I can think of the following titles:

    1)  Real beginner - lower level than the Prag or O'reilly books, chatty
         tone

     2) Theory - a theory of concurrency oriented programming - why
         share-nothing agent programming is good. Design patterns.
         distributed algorithms. How does leadership election work, DHTs etc
         academic in tone.

     3) How to books - take one subsystem and document all the nitty
gritty stuff.
         Candidates

         - mnesia
         - yaws
         - ejabberd
        - asn1
         - [you name it]

     4) How to book, with emphasis on setup. Lots of details
         where to fetch, how to compile etc.

         (not generic - with sections for Ubuntu, OS-X and windows 7)

         one chapter/per topic

         - ejabberd
         - mochiweb
         - scalaris
         - nitrogen
         - [you name it]

     6) Case studies (business)
         Not sure if this is even possible.
         I'm thinking the business case behind sucessfull Erlang companies.
         What they did and why (technical stuff)
          This is the book I'd want to read - but much is still
commercially sensitive

     7) case studies (technical)
          How was X built and why? Give the history. What worked, what failed.
          Basically interviews with the lead developers of each X

          For X in
               yaws
               ejabberd
               [you name it]

     8) Other
          [you name it]

Comments

 4)  and 7) seem to be the easiest to produce - just decide on the chapters
(please suggest topics) and recruit one volunteer per chapter (no
problem with domain experts here) and an editor and some reviewers.

3) is pretty difficult - very few people know everything about a particular
sub-system - and even if they do might not want to spend thousands of
hours documenting it - sales would be small anyway (I suspect)

1) and 2) are possible

7) might make a nice web site - need not be a book

I'll put these question on a survey site, so people can vote, if somebody
can suggest one - or can we do this on the main erlang site???

Cheers

/Joe