[erlang-questions] Re: [erlang-bugs] Re: [erlang-questions] wx fails to build on Snow Leopard

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Mon Sep 7 16:05:22 CEST 2009

On 7 Sep 2009, at 15:54 , Steve Vinoski wrote:
On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Jayson Vantuyl <kagato@REDACTED> wrote:

>> hour before giving up (and watch the memory usage in the
>> meantime).  If it's
>> taking up CPU, it's probably just pathological compilation behavior.
> No need to lecture. Anytime I hear my laptop fans kick into high
> gear and
> run that way for more than 5 minutes, I hunt down the source of the
> issue
> and make it stop. Let it run for an hour? No thanks. I have no
> interest in
> potentially overheating my laptop and unnecessarily shortening its
> lifespan
> trying to compile something like this.

Any modern CPU (especially in laptops) has built-in temperature
management and overheating protection, unless your laptop has pretty
severe hardware defects there's no reason for it to overheat (let
alone get a shortened lifespan out of that). In any correctly built
laptop, the temperatures reached by the components will be well within
the hardware's tolerances (though not your thighs's).

And re erlang compilation, though I have no doubt it's malfunctioning
under SL, it used to take a good half hour to hour under leopard on a
2GHz C2D macbook.