[erlang-questions] Re: [erlang-bugs] Re: [erlang-questions] wx fails to build on Snow Leopard

Steve Vinoski vinoski@REDACTED
Mon Sep 7 17:04:33 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Masklinn <masklinn@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2009, at 15:54 , Steve Vinoski wrote:

>>> it's
>>> taking up CPU, it's probably just pathological compilation behavior.
>>>
>> No need to lecture. Anytime I hear my laptop fans kick into high gear and
>> run that way for more than 5 minutes, I hunt down the source of the issue
>> and make it stop. Let it run for an hour? No thanks. I have no interest in
>> potentially overheating my laptop and unnecessarily shortening its
>> lifespan
>> trying to compile something like this.
>>

> Any modern CPU (especially in laptops) has built-in temperature management
> and overheating protection, unless your laptop has pretty severe hardware
> defects there's no reason for it to overheat (let alone get a shortened
> lifespan out of that). In any correctly built laptop, the temperatures
> reached by the components will be well within the hardware's tolerances
> (though not your thighs's).

Tell that to my old PowerBook, which recently gave up the ghost after a
couple months of my son constantly watching video game videos from YouTube,
causing the fans to be running on high all the time and the body to
constantly be pretty hot.

Like I said, no need to lecture. I used to do chip testing. We'd literally
bake them, we'd freeze them with liquid nitrogen, we'd run them for weeks
under extreme temperatures. I'm well aware of what they can handle, but I'm
also well aware of what even non-extreme temperatures can mean for device
lifespan. So thanks but I'll stand by my concerns.

And re erlang compilation, though I have no doubt it's malfunctioning under
> SL, it used to take a good half hour to hour under leopard on a 2GHz C2D
> macbook.

The entire compilation of Erlang/OTP took that long, yes, but here we're
talking about a single file taking that long to compile -- quite a
difference.

--steve