[erlang-questions] hipe_bifs missing in R13B02

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Fri Nov 13 13:06:38 CET 2009

2009/11/13 Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@REDACTED>

> Michael Richter wrote:
> > It also turns out to be really easy to build such a system even if you
> > configure with --enable-hipe.  Building HIPE requires the m4 macro
> processor
> > and if you don't have it installed the configure script makes a one-line
> > mention of it deep in the thousands of lines of gibberish that gets
> spewed
> > out.
>
> Are you saying that ./configure --enable-hipe detects the missing m4,
> notes it in its log, disables hipe, and finishes without error?
> That would be a bug, it should error out due to the explicit option.
>
> Perhaps we should support --enable-hipe={no,auto,force}.

That is indeed what I'm saying.  And since the HIPE support is somewhere in
the middle of the million lines of gibberish, and since the recursive
structure of the projects gives no single point to look for logs, finding
that particular problem was pure providence for me: I happened to catch the
word "hipe" flicker by the screen after my fourth or so attempt to get a
HIPE-enabled build and scrolled back to find the problem.  Without that
lucky break I'd probably still be trying to find the problem.

So yeah.  A bug.  :)