[erlang-questions] I Hate Unit Testing...

Dan Milstein dan.milstein@REDACTED
Wed Jan 28 15:30:46 CET 2009

Maybe I'm even lazier, but I just write my tests in the same file as
the module under test, so then the boilerplate is (within the file
you're testing, and therefore already compiling):

-include_lib("eunit/include/eunit.hrl").

So then, when you re-compile the module, instead of, well, whatever
else you were doing, just do:

 > module:test().

[If putting tests in that same module is somehow Wrong And Terrible,
world, please let me know why... ]

In addition, eunit's ?debugVal() macro is incredibly useful -- it's
like the keystroke-friendly print stmt that Erlang doesn't have.  In
other words, one of your tests fail -- want to look at what's going on
inside the middle of a function somewhere?  Just wrap a line in ?
debugVal() and you get a *great* info message, with full line number
and everything.  It's so useful I sometimes -include eunit just to get
access to that during my dev process.

Just my $.02 as a test-obsessed programmer: eunit is as impressively
close to the ideal of As Simple As Possible as anything I've ever seen.

(Speaking of which, Richard, eunit is absolutely the bomb -- I adore
it).

-Dan M