[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Fri Feb 27 23:29:52 CET 2009

2009/2/27 Zvi <exta7@REDACTED>

> Reia do not solve FSM per-say. But it provides more consistent programming
> model. Each Reia object is gen_server, adding FSM state should be trivial.
> Not directly related: why Erlang processes have no builtin FSM. It would be
> logical, since original problem domain was Complex Soft Realtime Control
> Systems. And process anyway have system state (i.e. created, suspended,
> died, etc.)

Originally Erlang was more of a DSL (though we didn't know the term then)
and tuned to doing the FSM parts of the problem. We soon found, however,
that to be able to build these systems Erlang had to be a general purpose
programming language. We then decided that generally we would try to provide
the the basic tools for building an app and not packaged solutions. Hence
FSM's are not built in but it is generally easy to build them. Same for
process communication and error handling.

Robert