[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Thu Feb 26 16:25:09 CET 2009

Steve,
you definitely at drinking kool aid stage.

I love Erlang, it's practical language, but it's syntax and semantics can't
be called beautiful.
The biggest problem is overlap and impedance mismatch between various levels
of the language/platform:

1. i.e. sequential/functional Erlang:  MFA
2. processes and message passing
3. OTP gen_server

i.e. I can write:

Res = my_mod:my_fun(Args)

or

Pid = spawn(my_mod, start),
Pid ! {my_fun,Args},
Res = receive Res -> Res end.

or

{ok,Pid} = gen_server:start(my_mod,[],[]).
Res = gen_server:call(Pid, {my_fun, Args}).

compare this with Reia:

Res = MyClass.MyMethod(Args)

Another big problem with Erlang, that, while it makes implementation of hard
things easy, the easy things are sometimes hard to implement in Erlang.

Zvi