[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Dave Smith dave.smith.to@REDACTED
Wed Feb 25 05:24:11 CET 2009

> - The medium/long term future of hardware cannot be anything but FPGAs
> and I cannot imagine any multithreaded dance in Java/C++ that can
> possibly keep up with this trend. With Erlang, I feel that I can cope
> with the next decade.

I agree with you here.  I can't imaging any implementation of the actors
model on top of Java/C++ (or Ruby/Python) that will be as elegant.

Where Erlang falls apart for me is in the modelling of business concepts and
processing business rules. I've done these types of applications for 15
years in C++ and Java, and they are not elegant, but they work. I've tried
to model these concepts in Erlang, but they are a mess.  I'm currently
looking at Haskell for this purpose, and it looks very promising.  The
extensibility of the type system is key here.  Erlang's records are just not
up to the job. Perhaps frames or abstract patterns will do the job better.

--DS